Monday, March 16, 2009

Eff It

I've been working for literally HOURS on a post about Lindy Ruff and Darcy Regier and the sudden rash of stories about whether they will be/should be fired if the Sabres miss the playoffs. I started, erased and started again at least five times. I looked at the pros and cons of firing both of them, keeping both of them and keeping one and firing of the other but nothing was coming out right. It was long, it was meandering and it didn't actually say anything. All I can tell you is that I don't want Lindy OR Darcy to be fired. So there. Maybe someday I'll actually tell you why. For now, I'm going to bed because hockey is giving me a headache.

5 comments:

Cari said...

I completely agree. =]

Meg said...

Well given that I expect the likelihood of Ruff OR Regier being fired is approximately nil, I think the Ruff and Regier partisans are in good shape.

My take? I refuse to stress myself out one way or another about something that's not going to happen. They're the coach and the GM and that's just the way it is.

Jill said...

I don't want them fired either. It is an emotional decision in the short term but then when you actually think it through... it makes sense to keep them.

Mark B said...

Well, since Bucky said neither would be fired, I would expect both of them to be gone if we miss the playoffs.

Mike said...

I don't think Reiger or Ruff will end up getting fired at season's end. Even if the playoffs are missed (again). I don't know that they should either. Granted, their long tenures are the exception, not the rule in the current sports culture. But I don't agree with firing people because too often, it just makes an organization look "committed to winning" when in reality, they are doing nothing more than cowering to talk radio cry babies.

That said, I am sure there exists two people on planet earth who can effectively GM and head coach the Buffalo Sabres who are not named Lindy Ruff and Darcy Regier. Perhaps even do it better. However, until it is known who these people are, and if they are available and willing to take the job, I wouldn't make a move. That is part of the Vanek's Hair Rules to a Good Life. Don't leave something or someone that is good for you, unless you are leaving for something or someone better.